An experienced Massachusetts personal injury attorney takes you through the top ten causes for boating accidents according to the National Coast Guard Statistics Guide.
As a personal injury attorney I know that this is usually because the operator did not exercise caution and the accident could have been prevented.
Here are the Top 10 causes for boat accidents according to the coast guard:
Massachusetts Personal Injury Attorney | Top 10 Causes For Boating Accidents
- Operator Inattention– There is a lot to distract you when you are on a boat. But if you are the one operating the boat you need to always stay aware. You need to be focused on the boat, the passengers, and the weather. The weather, wind, and water can throw some unexpected curveballs at the operator of a boat. Always be aware of the warning signs of danger because statistics show that the number one cause of boating accidents is inattention.
- Improper Lookout– As a Massachusetts personal injury attorney I know this is a big one. Not everyone practices this, but the coast guard recommends there always be a designated person to look out for hazards or threats.
- Inexperience– If the driver does not know the basics of boating there is serious risk. The operator should know about admiralty law, navigation rules, and how to handle emergencies.
- Speeding– Driving the boat at a safe speed allows the driver and the passengers to have the chance to react to dangers on the water.
- Machinery Failure– In order for your boat to meet safety guidelines, you should have it regularly checked to make sure it is in good condition. This is the responsibility of the boat owner.
- Alcohol– Most states have the same limits for operating a car and a boat under the influence. Be smart and prevent accidents by knowing the limits.
- Dangerous Waters– There are a lot of different things you can encounter on a boat including sudden changes in the current or rapid tidal flows. These things can make it very hard to drive a boat. Although you cannot predict these things, you do have the choice to stay away from certain areas that are known for rough waters.
- Weather Conditions– A lot of people assume that if the sky is clear the nice weather will continue throughout the day. But check the weather, because there is always the chance for a change in the weather that can be dangerous.
- Rules Of The Water– Violations of rules governing the navigation of boats are regularly among the top causes of accidents. Know how to operate a boat AND the rules of the water.
- Forceful Waves– A wake is what follows the track of the moving boat. The force of the wake can be a cause for accidents and injuries.
Massachusetts Personal Injury Attorney | Closing Comments
Over the past 22 years at the Kevin P Landry Law Offices we have helped people with all sorts of accidents including boating accidents. If you or a loved one has been hurt or killed in a boating accident because of someone else’s negligence, we can help you get the money you need to pay for the bills, loss of income, and a magnitude of others expenses.