Dogs are lovely pets to spend time with but they can also bite you and cause serious injuries. It is estimated that four and a half million people in the United States are bitten by dogs every year. A fifth of those bitten end up seeking medical attention because their wounds are severe.
Children are at a higher risk of being injured by dog bites because they might not know how to act around dogs and they are also small in size. Believe it or not, most people get bitten by dogs they interact with. There are many reasons why a dog can bite you:
- Possessiveness– a dog can bite you when it is protecting “property”. Property could be anything from humans, toys, or even food. Herding breeds and guard dogs are the worst offenders but any dog can exhibit this behavior.
- Fear– a dog can bite you out of fear. It can bite when it is in unfamiliar territory or when strangers are around. Dogs can also bite when startled.
- Pain– when a dog is in pain, no matter how friendly it is, it can bite. The pain can be as a result of an injury or a medical condition. Consider taking your dog to the vet if it becomes snippy for no reason.
- Maternal Instincts– a female dog that has just whelped recently can become a biter regardless of how well trained it is. Be sure to handle the puppies with care and provide a safe and warm place for the puppies and mother to stay.
- Prey drive– some dogs give chase when you cycle or run past them. If this happens, stop moving and stand still facing the dog. Don’t make eye contact because it will think that you are challenging it.
When Should You Hire A Dog Bite Lawyer?
The moment a dog bites you and inflicts injuries, you should hire a dog bite lawyer to help you get compensation. You can do it yourself and file a claim against the dog owner’s insurance policy but this will put you at a great disadvantage.
Insurance companies will try to offer you less than you are entitled to because they know the system and will even go to the extent of making you feel like you provoked the dog to attack you. A dog bite lawyer who has vast experience in such cases will ensure that you get the justice that you deserve.
Why You Should Hire A Dog Bite Lawyer
There are several reasons why you should consider hiring a dog bite lawyer:
- You are worried that the dog owner’s insurance company will short change you when negotiating
- You are not comfortable directly negotiating with the dog owner’s insurance company
- You do not have the energy or the time to start negotiating a settlement with the dog owner
- Your injuries are severe and you cannot determine the true cost of your injuries.
An experienced Massachusetts dog bite lawyer is familiar with the Massachusetts dog bite law. They can help you document your injuries and follow the right procedure to prove that the dog’s owner was responsible for your injuries. They can prove that:
- The dog owner did not take the necessary steps to prevent their dog from biting other people
- The dog is potentially dangerous
- The owner of the dog broke the dog-bite law and other animal control laws.
A dog bite lawyer can also help you calculate:
- Costs you incurred because of the attack
- Emotional distress you suffered because of the attack
- Permanent disability that may have resulted from the attack
- Lost time or wages spent off from work to nurse bite wounds
- Replacement of personal property if it was damaged in the event of the attack
- Medical bills for treatment of your injuries.
Hire A Dog Bite Lawyer Today
When you hire the right dog bite lawyer, it can really affect how your case turns out. You need to find not only a lawyer who has previous experience in handling dog bite cases but also has high standards of caring for clients.
Speak to one of our dog bite lawyers today by calling (800)200-7752 or you can fill out our contact form and we’ll have one of our experienced RI or Ma dog bite lawyers get back to you as soon as possible.